Written by Alexa Erickson
How often have you been advised, or advised someone else, to follow the heart and give the brain a rest (or vice versa)? It’s because logic and emotion don’t always go hand-in-hand, and often times, we think we must let go of one in order to pursue what’s right. But while the brain and the heart may seem to oppose one another, they are, indeed, entirely complementary.
When we can’t say ‘No,’ we become a sponge for the feelings of everyone around us and we eventually become saturated by the needs of everyone else while our own hearts wilt and die. We begin to live our lives according to the forceful should of others, rather than the whispered, passionate want of our own hearts. We let everyone else tell us what story to live and we cease to be the author of our own lives. We lose our voice — we lose the desire planted in our souls and the very unique way in which we might live out that desire in the world. We get used by the world instead of being useful in the world. (source)
1. The “wrath of the Internet” isn’t always worth sharing your valuable opinion.
2. Food is good for the soul, so sometimes, no matter what the facts are, you’ve just got to dig in.
3. Sometimes the heart needs a little reminder from the brain that being unique is what makes you special.
4. Some is better than none.
5. You know that weird brain cramp you get when you try to comprehend the universe? Let it go and enjoy seeing the stars for what they look like: sky decorations.
6. And of course, your brain and your heart will likely desire two totally different things when you do make the decision to travel.
7. And upon returning home, your brain and heart will have very different ideas about what to do next.
8. And, when you try to forget that your sleep schedule is on the fritz, your brain will be right there to remind you.
9. And then there’s the spiralling thoughts your brain is so good at blessing you with.
10. There are times when one’s advice may trump the others’, however. And when it comes to living, take up the heart’s notion of living in the moment as opposed to focusing on the past or future.
11. The heart has some pretty sentimental thoughts, even if they do come from a movie.
12. But while following your heart is important, keeping tabs on what the brain wants throughout the day may expose some necessities you simply can’t ignore.
13. Because it’s all too easy for the heart to get carried away, no matter how much the brain weighs in.
14. Which is why sometimes your brain gets very stern and calls in back up.
15. And naturally, that back up doesn’t always hold up.
16. But remember, while the brain is very powerful, it can’t fix everything.
17. And the heart’s got a lot of potential itself. And so, when they work together, your heart and your brain can help you to take the right path.
“Drawing out the comics has, since the beginning, been a very self-therapeutic process,” Saluk explained. “Heart has kind of been leading me in that direction, helping me to take more risks and do things I might not have done otherwise.”
Originally posted @ Collective Evolution