Written by E Cragg
One of the most efficient ways to undergo a thorough detox of the body is to make use of an infrared sauna. This type of sauna heats you literally from the inside out (it basically cooks you slowly!!) and will help you get rid of the stored up toxins very efficiently (and as a bonus), they are relatively cheap to purchase. In Australia, you can buy such a sauna on e-bay for about AUS $1,000 (USD $750). We have had an infrared sauna for over a decade and make use of it often. We find it very effective, especially during the wintertime, when there are various flu viruses, out-and-about.
In order to get the maximum benefit out of a detoxing session, we have adopted Dr. George Yu’s system. A clinical professor at Georgetown Washington University, he has come up with an excellent yet simple program, which he has used successfully on the 9/11 fire fighters. It is really easy to implement this detoxification protocol. Here is a very short 10 min. YouTube clip, where Dr. Yu explains the benefits of using B3 combined with the rebounder/sauna and the charcoal. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47UyvsCQ-mk
Dr. Yu’s simple protocol consists of:
- Start with a dose of 50mg of Vitamin B3, which will give you a niacin-flush; and work up to a 100mg dose over a period of time. B3 will open up your capillaries and it helps to get a very efficient blood flow established. At the CoolWellbeing Foundation here in Queensland, Australia, where I am one of the main participants, we use Vitamin B3 supplements, (flushing and non-flushing) which we order from iherb.com in the United States.
* A Word of Warning When Taking B3 *
Niacin supplements may sometimes temporarily cause flushing and/or itching, but if you opt for the sustained release tablets, this should minimize those symptoms. NOTE: Please consult a physician first if you are pregnant/nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition (liver problems, stomach ulcers, diabetes, gout, etc.)
We use the non-flushing version for ourselves, as we don’t like the flushing effect, but believe it to be just as effective with regards to the detox.
- Get on a rebounder or elliptical trainer/bicycle and get your heart rate up to increase blood flow. We bounce on the rebounder for 10-20 minutes, depending on how much time we have.
- Next, get into the infrared sauna, set at about 50°C and stay there for 20-40 minutes. When starting this detox, we would initially suggest only remaining in the sauna for 10-20 minutes, and building up to longer sessions over a period of time. If you feel the need, take some water with you into the sauna.
- When you come out of the sauna, immediately drink 200ml of purified water mixed with 2 tablespoons of charcoal – WARNING you will get a very black tongue and lips – and your next stool will be dark. This black concoction will help to remove any of the toxins, which by now have been released into your body from your fat cells during the sauna. The ingested charcoal will immediately encapsulate these unwanted toxins in your intestines and you will be excreting them out of your body naturally. Think of the molecular structure of the charcoal as acting like a cage, in which the toxins are trapped in, and subsequently eliminated.
Just like the Vitamin B3, you can buy the activated charcoal at any good chemist, on e-bay, iherb.com or vitacost, where we shop.
Dr. Yu reminds everyone undertaking this form of detoxification to keep in mind that when you sweat, you lose a lot of minerals and even vitamins. It is absolutely essential to make sure you replenish your body with electrolytes and potassium after your session. Coconut water is also an excellent re-hydrator. It is a powerhouse of natural electrolytes, vitamins, minerals, trace elements, amino acids, enzymes, antioxidants and phytonutrients, and it is low in sugar. You will also need vitamins and minerals especially magnesium, sodium and potassium to be replenished.
Rehydrating your body with plenty of pure and filtered water after the sauna is therefore essential. You can also add a ½ to 1 teaspoon of Himalayan Salt to every litre of water, helping you to replace the lost essential minerals very cheaply, yet with great effect.